Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Visit From Clive Thompson

This week we had a visitor in Room 208 who made me pause in wonder at just how much my world of teaching and learning has changed since taking the decision to reinvent my practice and document this process on my blog. On Monday, Clive Thompson, columnist for Wired Magazine and contributing writer for the New York Times, spent the day with us at Dundas Central.

I first ran into Clive on the pages of Wired Magazine and never imagined that one day our paths might cross, that we would engage in an extended conversation on education and learning, or that he would be standing in my classroom demonstrating his very cool pencil sharpener to my grade 7 students. As I've said previously, all social media paths lead to twitter and it was there that Clive came across one of my early blog posts in which I recognized that my days of teaching content were over. Clive is working on a book on how technology affects thinking and contacted me through email curious about the post and my thoughts on this changing world of education. Since then he's followed the work that we do
 In Room 208 and on Monday he was finally able to see first hand the chaos that is us.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable day. Clive is a committed conversationalist and there was no shortage of topics to discuss. As I watched Clive interact with my students several thoughts crossed my mind.

The first was the power of social media to connect my students, my school, my community and myself to a vast and exciting world that is rapidly changing. My students are the direct beneficiaries of this power. They are among the lucky ones who at a very young age have not only experienced and witnessed but been instrumental in breaking the ground for social media in education.

Clive would not have been standing in our classroom if not for social media. My personal decision to learn alongside my students the tools of Web 2.0. led me to blogging which led to twitter which led to a global community transforming education which led to international partners for project and inquiry based learning which led to national recognition which led to a few awards which led to many, many visitors which led to speaking invitations for my students which led to my blog being picked up by CBC Hamilton, money to purchase iPads and Clive Thompson standing in my classroom demonstrating his very cool pencil sharpener to my students. (The point gets very sharp, they tested it.)

I wonder at the effect this world of social media as learning is having on them.  Sometimes we stand back in awe at just how far our classroom's touch has reached. Even though our Hana's Suitcase Global Twitter Chat project finished in November of last year, it's effect is still rippling through social media. My students are very aware that several other classes and schools began using social media because of the work we do. What is it like to know that the work that you do in school as a student is transformative?  What will these students carry forward in their approach to learning, to their place in the world, to what they feel they can accomplish because of these experiences?

Listening to students being interviewed about the work we do was nerve wracking at first, but I've gotten used to it.  I know what I've observed and written about, but how do students actually describe their experiences?  It's their work that is on display and their world as learners that is being observed after all.  I have to say that when asked to speak to these experiences their insights are often profound, always honest, and each time I listen to them I am astounded by how articulate they are in describing the impact of technology on learning- both the good and the bad. I've stopped worrying. These are intelligent people with well-formed opinions and insights.

What I don't know is what visitors actually see. I know that my classroom has changed; I know that the way I now teach is different, I know that my students now act differently when learning. I know that technology has opened our world and changed the way we engage.  What I don't know is whether anyone who drops by for a visit actually sees a difference.  Our classroom is still a classroom after all; it's what's inside our heads that has changed.

Clive had a chance to speak with many students, including Emily and Carlie who calculated just how many hours they spent on the app project: 400! He saw the remnants of our First Nations Celebration Day  and I had the opportunity to explain in detail many of the things that we do.  He watched students use the iPads for film-making and gave us several tips including how to use a peephole lens and why roller blades would be useful. He toured the school, spoke with several other teachers and students and remarked on the beauty of the town of Dundas and the uniqueness of our school.   I see from twitter that several students are now following @pomeranian99.  They clearly understand the importance of building and maintaining connections!

Thanks for your visit Clive, it was a pleasure meeting face to face! Feel free to drop by any time you find yourself in the area and if you have any more questions, you know how to find us!









2 comments:

  1. Heidi, I have been following your blog for several months after noticing your tweets were so interesting. You are doing amazing things in your classroom and I love reading about them and thinking about how I can use your ideas when I am working with our students. I think I said "WOW" outloud when I read about your Clive T coup. I love his column in WIRED and have been reading it for years. Thank you so much for sharing through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,
    Thank you for your kind words. My goal when I began blogging was to document and share the transformation of my practice as I learned. I am glad that you find it useful. The visit from Clive Thompson is a definitely a highlight for us.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.