Monday, August 1, 2011

Reform Symposium (RSCON3) Just What's So Different?

Initially when I planned this post about Reform Symposium 3, I was going to write about the incredibly inspiring speakers and the wonderfully rich collaboration that is occurring in learning spaces around the world. I was then going to add in my reflections on the thought-provoking keynotes. I was going to thank the dedicated organizers, volunteers, and presenters.  I was going to thank Ian, Esa, Cynthia and Aviva for helping make my presentation  a success.  I could go on and on because all of it would be true. It was a remarkable event.

What struck me today, though,  as I read through the tweets under the #rscon3 hashtag in twitter is the aftermath. Typically when one attends a professional development event one of two things happen. Either people leave grumbling that the event was a waste of time or people leave excited with new ideas that they begin to use in their classrooms and ... that's the end of it.  RSCON3 did not leave people grumbling, that is certain. The event was the richest learning opportunity that I have had to date as an educator and I have been teaching for more than 20 years.

What's significant about RSCON3 is what's happening now, what we are able to observe because of social media. We have the privilege of seeing the impact.  Attendees are blogging, slidesharing, tweeting, commenting on blogs and sharing how they will use their ideas.  They are pursuing more deeply the ideas they encountered and sharing those reflections for the rest of us to consider.   They are searching out and sharing links that are relevant to topics discussed.  They are connecting with other attendees to form fluid personal learning communities.  Over the next year we will continue to read about and see the impact as attendees blog and tweet on how their practice, learning environments and selves are changing.   More than that though, those who did not attend are going to encounter people, blogs and tweets that have been influenced by the event, and they will begin changing their educational practices.  They, too, will tweet, blog and share. And we are able to witness it.

As Steve Wheeler said in his keynote - attendees are "amplifying" rscon3 through social media.http://www.slideshare.net/timbuckteeth/the-road-is-open   That is what is different. I am awed by this.

If you haven't discovered the power yet of this amplification, I give you Michael Gaffin's slideshare from #rscon3: What the heck is a PLN http://www.slideshare.net/mgraffin/what-the-heck-is-a-pln

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Heidi! It was a fantastic event, & I'm glad that I could be a part of it. I really feel motivated to try some new things in my classroom come September. Excellent presentation by the way!

    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aviva,so glad we got to share it together! Thank you for everything you've taught me this year. Maybe one day we'll even meet face to face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the three sessions beyond my own that I was able to attend. It, and the VRT, are such great online opportunities to share and learn. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heidi! Thank you kindly for the mention.

    I really must agree that the aftermath of #rscon3 has been an amazing experience, particularly when I saw my presentation slides have been accessed over 730 times in 36hrs!

    Thankyou for a thoughtful, and insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RSCON3 is another example how the internet has provide limitless amount of information and communication. Lets take Cancer for example. Scientists all over the world can post results and reply to others research in a matter of minutes. This collaboration has provided people to live much longer.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.