Saturday, July 2, 2011

Why do They Have to Sit on the Carpet? or at a Table? or at All?

Institutional flaw. A brief moment illustrates problems with directed education.

This winter we had a wonderful snowstorm. It left a great coating of thick ice on the school yard that caused excitement in the kindergarten pen. It was my day to supervise the children during Nutrition Break which involves 20 minutes of eating time, followed by 20 minutes of outdoor play time. Anyone who has ever had to get a 4 or 5 year old into a snowsuit should raise eyebrows at this. Yes, there are some children who only get outside for a few minutes during the winter as it takes so long for them to get dressed. This time, however, is driven by a schedule - necessary in a busy school.  It is also the time
during which the classroom teacher receives a much-needed lunch break.

On this day on the playground children had shovels and were busy breaking the ice into small and large chunks.  They were working collaboratively and industriously with a level of focus that is unique to children this age.  The children had spontaneously formed collaborative teams and were lifting the chunks of ice onto one pile that was rapidly growing.  Throughout this process, rich observations, discussions and analysis was taking place.  They were comparing sizes of chunks, weight, leverage and force.  Calls for help for larger chunks were met with rapid assistance.  It was a rich learning moment - no teacher required.

And then, the bell went, much to the disappointment of the children.  It was my job to tell the children to stop and line up to go back inside.  The children, however, were by no means eager to comply. I thought to myself, "Why? What could possibly be happening inside that classroom that could be richer in learning than what was occurring at this moment in time in the yard?"  Even if they were to go inside to cut out shapes to
order by size and then glue to a paper, this would in no way match the richness of the moment that I was obliged to halt.

Why, I thought, is the sitting, paper, scissor, glue activity receiving precedence over the active, collaborative play-based activity, particularly when research shows that play-based learning promotes critical thinking in a way that seated activities do not?  There is no reason other than an institutional decision to structure "teaching" in a certain way.  It is time for institutions to begin structuring school in ways that are actually conducive to learning rather than compliance.

Government ads have been appearing on television stations in Ontario over the last few months promoting a new approach to kindergarten based on play.  I hope the governments intentions are true and that schools take this message seriously.  Return to play is long overdue!

5 comments:

  1. I think that I fall somewhere in the middle of this "play debate." I taught Kindergarten for 8 years, and Kindergarten will always be a grade that I love!

    In this case, it sounds like this was a very meaningful play opportunity. Students were developing their oral language skills, social language skills, and math skills. It would have been easy to expand on this activity. The teacher could bring out some paper, have students record their observations, sort their ice chunks, discuss different ways to count their piles, and even draw and label diagrams of the ice too. There were lots of options! In my mind, this is what the full-day Kindergarten program is trying to do when they talk about a focus on "play" and "student-directed learning."

    I would not be so in favour of this play though, if the students were just sliding down the hills or making a snowman. This is a great recess activity, but this is not necessarily something I would want to continue.

    I also wouldn't want to take the children in to cut shapes or sort them. I think that the work that we get Kindergarten students to do can be deeper than some of these pencil-paper tasks that I know I used when I was a Kindergarten teacher too.

    In my mind, there should be balance. Academic work doesn't need to mean "paper work" (or "blackline masters") and play doesn't need to mean "unstructured chaos" or hours of pouring water at the water station. What do others think though?

    Carmel Crevola wrote a great post on this play debate on her blog (http://blog.carmelcrevola.com/2011/04/28/play-based-learning/#more-14), and I hope that we continue the conversation on both of these blogs. This is definitely something that many people have strong opinions about.

    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the key element here is for all teachers to be responsive to learning as it is occurring - to not become so caught up in one's plan for the day, that moments like these are ignored. Being conscious of what is happening, being comfortable with tossing a planned lesson if a better learning opportunity presents itself and finding ways to extend and deepen thinking skills in response to children's explorations are where the expertise of a talented teacher are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Aviva that academic work doesn't have to be black line masters and uninformed play. This is my concern as well in older grades as project-based learning gains a foothold. Sometimes, you just have to stop and teach directly how to write a paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I am a Heidi too! @hechternacht on twitter from #kinderchat

    Pouring water over and over is a fab-u-lous activity!! Children don't do repetitive play accidentally- it is all purposeful by nature. Making snowmen, fab-u-lous! Favorite discussion:

    Setting: starting to snow
    child: "let's build a snowman!!"

    teacher: "I'd love to build a snowman but this is the wrong kind of snow, it won't stick together" (now I s/could have let him get to that on his own, but point follows)

    child: (thinking) suddenly: "I know! We can tape it together!"

    Snowmen, slides, breaking ice, are all wonderful ways to learn and play together. It is the teachers job to know when and where to enter in dialogue with her students. Often, our intrusion can lead to an enthusiastic projects demise.

    Key element is to be responsive- I can't agree more.
    And Bless us for getting those kids in and out of snowsuits and back in 20 min.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heidi,
    There are a few of us on twitter! You're right, during that repetitive water pouring, children are observing and learning. Building snowmen is a rich and valuable experience. Again, it comes back to how do we as colearners enrich and extend that moment?

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.