This week we took some time to reflect on what is was like working in a connected classroom. What did we actually learn? What impact has the introduction of Web 2.0 tools and connecting to the world had on us as learners? And, of course, what didn't go well with technology in our classroom?
We first generated a list of the technology we had learned to use. We were all surprised at the length of the list. Here it is:
The App Project
Hub 21 TV - livestreaming
Collaborize - our discussion/social media site
Blogging Buddies
Skype: Dr. Bruce Bradley, Ian, Cynthia, and even with Austin, a classmate, while in Florida on vacation
Prezi
Photoshop
Digital Cameras
Texting
E-readers
Laptops
Assistive Technology
Blog - The Amaryllis
Smartboards
Mathletics
Digital Cameras
Litcircuits
Ipods,
Webcam
Audacity
Glogster
Twitter
Wiki
Facebook
Google Docs
Gmail
Cell Phones
Minecraft
Ipad
We had a great discussion about the impact. I gave the students the following questions to think about.
1. What things have we been able to do because we have access to technology?
2. How would the classroom have been different if we weren't connected?
3. How did the introduction of Ryan's Ipad change things in our room?
4. how has knowing that people around the world are interested in and following our work on Twitter and through our blog affected you?
5. How is working on a "real word" project (our app) different from regular projects?
6. What has it been like to have access to experts and professionals?
7. How has being able to contribute to and build our project made you feel? (ex: Sydney documenting with photography, Emily and Carlie managing the pictures, tweeting our questions to Ian, contributing ideas during the planning)?
8. What is the biggest contribution you made to the class this year?
9. For those in Minecraft - how is the learning that we do during M. Club different from the traditional classroom?
10. What hasn't gone well with our use of technology?
11. how is technology being used in other subjects and classes?
12. If you could give one piece of advice to teachers about how you wish school could be, what would it be?
13 With access to technology at home, do you still think school is necessary?
14. When is a traditional classroom still important? (sitting by yourself, working on your own, quiet)
We're not quite finished answering them, but here are some of the responses:
I think it was different to be working on a "real world' project because it was cool! I was shocked when I heard our class was going to make an app for people to download. I can't wait to see what people think about it! (Rebecca)
Knowing that people are following what we are doing and are interested makes me not want to give up on the app project, it shows me that other classes are relying on us to finish the app project so they can know what to do. (Emily)
I think that the Minecraft Club has been easier than with a classroom teacher at the front of the classroom. You can just ask a friend at anytime instead of holding your hand up until the teacher allows you to talk. (Justin E.)
Normally when you hear a teacher talking about a project, right away you would think to yourself, "Oh great, another project!" But when I heard about making an actual app to put on the app store for anyone to download I was ecstatic. I always wanted to focus on a project that was fun AND educational. (Nicole)
Knowing that people are actually following us on Twitter and our class blog means a lot to me. When I heard that we had people from Portugal and the Caribbean it was an amazing feeling. I never thought that this would be happening. (Nicole)
The thing that we've been able to do this year because of technology is Skype with people around the world. I think it's cool that we can talk over a computer. (Kyle)
Being able to contribute to the app project has made me feel like I was important. Emily and I cropped pictures on photoshop which was a big part of the project. It was fun, but a lot of work. (Carlie)
Knowing that people around the world are interested in and following our work has affected me in many ways. When I go home and I go to Mrs. Siwak's blog and sometimes see my name in one of the posts, it makes me feel like I've accomplished a lot more. Also, the blog affected me knowing that people see the work I am doing. I like working on a "real world" project hundreds of times better than a normal project. The app project can be tough for some people at times, but knowing that we are the first class ever to be making an app, it's worth it. I hope other classes are encouraged to make an app, because it gives students more experience than just a normal project. (Bianca)
It was a privilege to work with professionals. They helped us figure things out, crop our pictures, learn about archaeology and write our stories. We could not have done certain things without them. (Sara)
Technology has helped us connect to the world including: Facebook, Twitter and The Amaryllis. The Amaryllis so far has almost 3000 people visiting the blog. The real world project has probably made me work harder. With the introduction of my Ipad we've been able to answer questions and prove points such as the banana is an herb not a tree. Ryan M.
We have been able to have experts help with the app, like Cynthia and Ian when they gave us really good information and helped us along the way. If we weren't connected we wouldn't have been able to do this project. Skyping with people like Dr. B, Ian and Cynthia wouldn't have been possible. Being able to work on an app project is different from normal projects because we get to connect with people around the world. Working with professionals has been so amazing for me. How we got to talk with them via Skype and Twitter ... it is just so cool! (Justin C)
Knowing that people are watching our work and can see what we are doing has really helped me. Because we know that they're watching all our work, it makes us want to do a better job. (Nikki)
I believe it would make it much easier if we all had laptops. It would be much faster than writing, we'd have better editing and we can do research right away. It's easier to take notes. (Nikki)
Technology has helped us connect to the world because with technology it shows other teachers or even students what we are learning and how we are learning. We are sharing and connecting different ideas about the use of technology (Sydney)
Working on an app project is different because when you're working on a project by yourself or with a partner you don't really Skype with someone who knows a lot of information. You would just go to a website or look in a book. With the app project, you can't just make an app by yourself, you need people who work with Apple to help you. (Sydney)
Working with professionals has been very cool. It has helped us understand the project more and helped me with my work. I thought it was cool knowing that a whole bunch of people are watching our work. I hope we can do it again. (Sean)
Technology has allowed us to connect to the world. I found it very cool to look at the map of all the people following us from around the world. It was amazing how a bit of technology can get people together from around the world. (Carlie)
What has not gone well with technology is that when it comes to using computers it can be unpredictable such as things can be deleted and when talking to one of the professionals connections can be lost. (Sara)
We first generated a list of the technology we had learned to use. We were all surprised at the length of the list. Here it is:
The App Project
Hub 21 TV - livestreaming
Collaborize - our discussion/social media site
Blogging Buddies
Skype: Dr. Bruce Bradley, Ian, Cynthia, and even with Austin, a classmate, while in Florida on vacation
Prezi
Photoshop
Digital Cameras
Texting
E-readers
Laptops
Assistive Technology
Blog - The Amaryllis
Smartboards
Mathletics
Digital Cameras
Litcircuits
Ipods,
Webcam
Audacity
Glogster
Wiki
Google Docs
Gmail
Cell Phones
Minecraft
Ipad
We had a great discussion about the impact. I gave the students the following questions to think about.
1. What things have we been able to do because we have access to technology?
2. How would the classroom have been different if we weren't connected?
3. How did the introduction of Ryan's Ipad change things in our room?
4. how has knowing that people around the world are interested in and following our work on Twitter and through our blog affected you?
5. How is working on a "real word" project (our app) different from regular projects?
6. What has it been like to have access to experts and professionals?
7. How has being able to contribute to and build our project made you feel? (ex: Sydney documenting with photography, Emily and Carlie managing the pictures, tweeting our questions to Ian, contributing ideas during the planning)?
8. What is the biggest contribution you made to the class this year?
9. For those in Minecraft - how is the learning that we do during M. Club different from the traditional classroom?
10. What hasn't gone well with our use of technology?
11. how is technology being used in other subjects and classes?
12. If you could give one piece of advice to teachers about how you wish school could be, what would it be?
13 With access to technology at home, do you still think school is necessary?
14. When is a traditional classroom still important? (sitting by yourself, working on your own, quiet)
We're not quite finished answering them, but here are some of the responses:
I think it was different to be working on a "real world' project because it was cool! I was shocked when I heard our class was going to make an app for people to download. I can't wait to see what people think about it! (Rebecca)
Knowing that people are following what we are doing and are interested makes me not want to give up on the app project, it shows me that other classes are relying on us to finish the app project so they can know what to do. (Emily)
I think that the Minecraft Club has been easier than with a classroom teacher at the front of the classroom. You can just ask a friend at anytime instead of holding your hand up until the teacher allows you to talk. (Justin E.)
Normally when you hear a teacher talking about a project, right away you would think to yourself, "Oh great, another project!" But when I heard about making an actual app to put on the app store for anyone to download I was ecstatic. I always wanted to focus on a project that was fun AND educational. (Nicole)
Knowing that people are actually following us on Twitter and our class blog means a lot to me. When I heard that we had people from Portugal and the Caribbean it was an amazing feeling. I never thought that this would be happening. (Nicole)
The thing that we've been able to do this year because of technology is Skype with people around the world. I think it's cool that we can talk over a computer. (Kyle)
Being able to contribute to the app project has made me feel like I was important. Emily and I cropped pictures on photoshop which was a big part of the project. It was fun, but a lot of work. (Carlie)
Knowing that people around the world are interested in and following our work has affected me in many ways. When I go home and I go to Mrs. Siwak's blog and sometimes see my name in one of the posts, it makes me feel like I've accomplished a lot more. Also, the blog affected me knowing that people see the work I am doing. I like working on a "real world" project hundreds of times better than a normal project. The app project can be tough for some people at times, but knowing that we are the first class ever to be making an app, it's worth it. I hope other classes are encouraged to make an app, because it gives students more experience than just a normal project. (Bianca)
It was a privilege to work with professionals. They helped us figure things out, crop our pictures, learn about archaeology and write our stories. We could not have done certain things without them. (Sara)
Technology has helped us connect to the world including: Facebook, Twitter and The Amaryllis. The Amaryllis so far has almost 3000 people visiting the blog. The real world project has probably made me work harder. With the introduction of my Ipad we've been able to answer questions and prove points such as the banana is an herb not a tree. Ryan M.
We have been able to have experts help with the app, like Cynthia and Ian when they gave us really good information and helped us along the way. If we weren't connected we wouldn't have been able to do this project. Skyping with people like Dr. B, Ian and Cynthia wouldn't have been possible. Being able to work on an app project is different from normal projects because we get to connect with people around the world. Working with professionals has been so amazing for me. How we got to talk with them via Skype and Twitter ... it is just so cool! (Justin C)
Knowing that people are watching our work and can see what we are doing has really helped me. Because we know that they're watching all our work, it makes us want to do a better job. (Nikki)
I believe it would make it much easier if we all had laptops. It would be much faster than writing, we'd have better editing and we can do research right away. It's easier to take notes. (Nikki)
Technology has helped us connect to the world because with technology it shows other teachers or even students what we are learning and how we are learning. We are sharing and connecting different ideas about the use of technology (Sydney)
Working on an app project is different because when you're working on a project by yourself or with a partner you don't really Skype with someone who knows a lot of information. You would just go to a website or look in a book. With the app project, you can't just make an app by yourself, you need people who work with Apple to help you. (Sydney)
Working with professionals has been very cool. It has helped us understand the project more and helped me with my work. I thought it was cool knowing that a whole bunch of people are watching our work. I hope we can do it again. (Sean)
Technology has allowed us to connect to the world. I found it very cool to look at the map of all the people following us from around the world. It was amazing how a bit of technology can get people together from around the world. (Carlie)
What has not gone well with technology is that when it comes to using computers it can be unpredictable such as things can be deleted and when talking to one of the professionals connections can be lost. (Sara)

Through the mouthes of babes!
ReplyDeleteThese comments speak for themselves... These students will remember this year for the rest of their lives, and you, for giving them all these opportunities! Heidi, one day you will be the featured teacher in the Professionally Speaking!
Just wanted to take a minute to thank all of the students whose answers are on here. A lot of teachers keep a folder of nice letters students have written to thank them. They keep the folder so they can look back on it on a really bad day and it will cheer them up. First off, I think you've given Ms. Siwak some great things to look back on. Secondly, you've given me, and I imagine many other teachers, a post to draw inspiration from in our own schools. The level of analysis going on in your reflections is wonderfully refreshing and truly inspiring. I can't wait to help students at my school get to the amazing level you have already achieved.
ReplyDeleteCheers!
Well hello from NYC! I just want to say that it was indeed an honor to be included in this project with all of you! It really was eye opening to me as well, to connect via SKYPE with you and see your progress and how much pride and perseverance you have regarding your work. BRAVO! You are trail blazing a new path for others. Awesome!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your comments. The class was so pleased to read these. They meant a lot to them.
ReplyDelete