Thursday, June 2, 2011

Post-Mortem: This Project is Not About the Mark

Now that the end is in site for our app project, I realize that in two weeks time, when we reflect on learning, we'll be able to have a much richer discussion than would have been possible in a closed classroom. Because our project was real work, we won't be going through the motions of self-assessment. We'll be able to look at our app that is now out in the public and reflect on our work.  A few of my students have begun to wonder what kind of reviews it will get, if any.  I am very curious to hear what my students think about what we accomplished, what do they see as the weaknesses in our process. What would they do differently now that they have a clearer understanding of the process?  What advice would they give to those who follow in our footsteps?  What did they actually learn and get out of this project that is going to stay with them?  What are they most proud of?

I've begun to think about assessment and realize that the only assessment that matters in a project such as this is the personal.   This project is not about the mark! 

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Gill (@Gill_Ville)June 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM

    Great post! I wonder what your students would tell other classes beginning this project? In fact, I'd love to connect via video conference so our kids could do just that. I would love to hear from them the best parts of the process and words of advice. This project is so rich with learning opportunities and I'm so impressed with the work your class has done. You should all be very proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Ms. Gill. I'm sure my class would be happy to offer your class advice. I know what I would say ... but what would the kids say?

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.