Friday, January 24, 2014

The Inquiry Working Group

The Inquiry Working Group started last fall with the goal of providing a space where teachers experimenting with inquiry could meet face to face to share practice and ask questions outside of a formal PD structure.  It grew out of my Edcamp experiences and my desire to engage in a different kind of professional development.  We began with around 20 members and now have a core group of about 10 who meet monthly.

I remember the days when we used to work in isolation in our classrooms. I remember when we were encouraged to begin collaborating and release days were set aside so that teachers could meet in teams. I remember when we first resisted and then struggled to find a structure for those days and I remember when I began to truly value this new model of collaboration because as my practice improved so did student engagement. This was before I discovered the wonders of social media as a tool for professional development.

The Inquiry Working Group marks an evolution in that process. With freedom to develop the group according to needs and with no formal expectations nor "accountability" demands, barriers to growth are from my point of view removed. We get together, we share what happened in our classrooms since we last met, we ask questions and make suggestions.  We engage in thoughtful conversations about learning.

The commitment of core members has been wonderful but even more wonderful has been the opportunity to hear and see how my colleagues are developing inquiry within their contexts. I have to say I am in awe of my colleagues! Many excellent ideas, teacher-created resources and approaches have been shared.

At our last meeting we took time to open a collaborative Livebinder. Each group member will have a personal tab where resources he or she has developed can be uploaded for others to use.

My question now is how can this model of professional development be formally recognized? Teachers are engaged in PD outside a formal accreditation system, yet the work we are engaged in is invaluable and has a direct impact on practice and student learning. Badges present a possible solution  and I will be exploring them in the next few weeks to gain a better understanding of how they can be used to recognize informal learning.

We have room for new members so if you are interested in joining us, drop me an email: heidi.siwak@hwdsb.on.ca or send a DM on twitter @heidisiwak 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.