Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Plans for the Fall - opening my class to visits; inquiry working group

I've been reflecting this week on all that I have learned over the past few years on inquiry and student centered learning and on just how much my practice has changed.  Many people have followed this transformation, some from my very first post. When I created this blog of transformation, I had sitting in the back of my mind a dream of creating a demonstration classroom, one where educators could come and see how learning and school could be different. Having had the opportunity to visit the Jackman Lab School in Toronto, I know how invaluable  first-hand observation can be.

I've had several requests to visit my classroom this year, but have not opened my doors. Last year we had many visitors and I found that my focus and attention was sometimes taken away from students and directed towards the needs and questions of visitors. I also noticed that classroom dynamics change when visitors arrive. So much of the depth of conversation and willingness to engage in deep learning happens in my classroom because of the level of trust that has been built between my students and myself.  Guests in the room, while enjoyable, limit what we are willing to discuss.

I also have been hesitant to accept visitors because while the work we're doing is very innovative and highly engaging, I didn't feel that I had a full enough grasp on the processes of inquiry, project and problem-based learning to merit visits. I took time this year to focus on deepening my understanding of inquiry. I have now reached a point where I am confident enough in my practice to once again open our door to visitors and will be honouring more of those requests in the fall.

This summer I'll be meeting with Jennifer Chan to consider how we can redesign my classroom for student-centered learning. Hopefully we'll have something in place for the fall.

Dundas Central Middle School teachers are beginning their training with the Rotman School of Management I-Think team on June 12.  We will be exploring integrative and design thinking and are hoping to make this a middle school focus for learning. Our long-term plan is to include teachers from other middle schools in our cluster as well as high school teachers. A number of high school teachers have expressed interest in working with us and we've had an initial meeting with 1 teacher from Parkside that was invaluable for beginning the conversation and sharing expertise. We have much to learn from each other! This will be experimental work full of hits and misses.

Late addition: a second group from Dundas Central plans to visit the Jackman Lab school in the fall.

What I am interested in forming this fall is a working group of teachers who are pursuing inquiry and would like to meet regularly face to face to share expertise and focus more directly on implementing 21st Century Learning practices in our classrooms. I would love to share more widely the work that I am doing and I know that there are pockets of excellence throughout our region. One of the tragedies of  education is that incredible talent sits hidden away because large bureaucracies have broader priorities and are often unable to fully capitalize on the expertise that lies within.  I also know that there are beginners interested, but uncertain how to begin. This could be a way for us to connect and begin forming the kinds of classrooms we wish to work in. If you are interested in being part of this initiative, please DM me on twitter with your email @heidisiwak or leave a comment on this post with your email or email me at heidi.siwak@hwdsb.on.ca with the subject: Inquiry Working Group.

 

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to be part of the inquiry adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful Janice! Could you email me your contact info and I will add you to the lists?

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.