Monday, February 11, 2013

In Self-Assessment, Timing is Everything!


Assessing our War of 1812/Napoleon Inquiry


When the Growing Success: Assessment, Evaluation and Reporting in Ontario Schools document was released in 2010, teachers in my province were obligated to change assessment practices.  This was upsetting and at times confusing.  I certainly didn't initially understand what exactly was expected from me.  The Ministry of Education  ensured, however, that we move forward. They provided funding for release time so that we could meet with colleagues and develop practices. Much of our early efforts in providing meaningful feedback and teaching peer evaluation skills were experimental and included false starts and misinterpretations.  We got better at it, though.  As we experimented, understanding deepened. Today, my approach to assessment is very different from those early efforts.  In fact, I have probably spent more time thinking about and having conversations about assessment during our War of 1812/Napoleon Inquiry than during any work I've done previously with students. Even technology, while a component of the inquiry,has taken a back seat to assessment.  Much of this is due to the stage that I am at in my own professional development.   As I've learned how to teach within an inquiry  or project-based learning model, the place and purpose of assessment has risen to the fore.  

One element that has changed in my practice is the point at which students and I co-create success criteria. Students need time to play with ideas, conduct research and think critically about the information they encounter before being presented with the expectations of a culminating task and what final demonstrations of learning should look like. 

Previously, I would have developed success criteria at the beginning of the task. Discussion would have taken place before students actually began working.  Feedback and peer-evaluation would occur once the rough copy was finished.  The criteria would then be used to assess the final product.  For our current inquiry, after a great deal of learning and discussion in class, students were introduced to the linoit tool and  given very loose parameters: construct a board that displays what you have learned, what you think is important and what you have thought about during this inquiry. Some students began to immediately place content. Others took time to explore various themes before deciding on a final topic. As they developed understanding of the task, my role was to engage in conversations with students about their boards. 

"Tell me about your board.  What have you decided to include?  Where are you finding your information.  That's interesting, what else have you found out?  How do those ideas connect? ..."  My talk is deliberate. My goal is to get them to think about why they are approaching their work in the manner they have chosen.  I am constantly prompting them to engage in metacognitive thinking  

Students took different lengths of time to develop personal goals and purposes within the loose parameters.  At what I identified as the 2/3 point , we stopped to reflect on what they had accomplished so far and their next steps. One student volunteered to be interviewed in front of the class.  I love the idea of presenting a not yet finished project. This gives students time to reconsider and make changes before their work is cast in stone. 

All students were given a copy of the following and are expected to critique their own work as part of their final submission.
Linoit Board Critique
Research shows that students make the greatest gains in their learning when they are able to assess their own work, reflect on what they’ve accomplished, identify areas where more work is needed and then set their own goals for learning.  You are going to take some time to reflect on your learning for the Linoit Board.  Answer the following questions in full sentences on lined paper.
         1.    When you were asked to create a board that reflected what you had learned during this inquiry, what did
                 you decide to focus on? Why?
         2.      How successful do you think you were? Why?

3.      Is there evidence on your board that your vocabulary has grown?

4.      What further research did you conduct on your own? At home? At school?

5.      Describe a change that you made to your board and why you made it.

6.      Explain the layout of your board and how you decided to organize it.

7.      Was anything difficult about this project?

8.      What are you most proud about?

9.      How does your board demonstrate higher level thinking?

10.  If you were to do this kind of a project again, what would you do differently?

If you were to give yourself a mark on this project, what would it be?
-1         1          +1        -2         2          +2        -3         3          +3        -4         4          +4
Why?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In interviewing a student in front of the whole class using the above questions, all students learn how to think when critiquing their own work.  Presenting a not yet completed project is low risk for the student who models self-assessment. He could still go back and make improvements to his board. The student I interviewed stopped me the next day to explain how in going back to his board, he reconsidered some of his responses during the critique.  He had continued to think about his work beyond the interview in front of the class.

Students then returned to their own boards. Most students were discussing changes they were going to make or not make now that they had had this opportunity to think about their work. 

Today we stopped once again, this time to develop a final check list. 

I began the class with this, "All of you now know what it is like to create a linoit board that reflects your own learning. If you were to assess someone else's board, what would you look for?"  The class generated ideas which I gathered on chart paper. Then while students continued to work on their boards, I formalized the list.

War of 1812/Napoleon Linoit Board
Task: create a board that shows your learning.
What did you learn?
What did you think about?
What do you think is important to remember?

Success Criteria:
           
Content:                     4          3          2          1
-lots of detail
-additional research
-specific (ex: dates, number of ships or troops, names, places)
-accuracy
-vocabulary
-thorough

Thinking:                    4          3          2          1
-doesn’t just rely on retelling information, but attempts to interpret, make inferences
-includes questions you had or continue to have

Organization:                         4          3          2          1
-logical (ex; timeline, themed sticky notes, icons/emoticons)

Visual Appearance:   4          3          2          1
-pictures
-font
-lay out – it is clear that thought has gone into the layout

Mechanics:                 4          3          2          1
-capitals
-periods
-spelling
-sentence structure

Comments:


___________________________________________________________________________________________________ 



As we were in the computer lab, I grabbed students screens to show them the list and asked, "Does everybody agree that this is what we are going to look for when we assess our work?" Students commented, suggested a few changes, but also spoke in terms of what they knew was still weak on their own boards.  They were much more "present" and engaged with the checklist than they would be if I was presenting it at the beginning of the inquiry. 




9 comments:

  1. Heidi, thank you for sharing the process. I really like the de-emphasis from success criteria and rubric at the beginning to a more reasonable 2/3 way point or so. Thank you for sharing your co-created assessment tool. I like how clear all the sections are described. Are they all weighted the same? How much formulization did you have to do (i.e. the categories)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly,
    It really makes an enormous difference introducing the success criteria at a later point. Students have the opportunity to develop their own purpose, rather than playing guess what the teacher wants. In Ontario we think about assessment in terms of Knowledge, Thinking and Communication. A student could be strong in knowledge/content but be weak in communication - sentence or paragraph structure. It helps target strengths and areas for growth. I will take the checklist and transform it into a rubric that is more specific about what I would expect to see at each level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heidi- I have been reading with interest your posts on the 1812 exercise. I love this last one. The idea of generating the success criteria later and stopping to assess mid way is an interesting concept. I agree entirely that having them make the success criteria (which in our school is still a confusing idea when compared to a check list type anchor chart)after they have had time to dive into the information is key. How can you set up an evaluation for yourself when you don't know what you don't know? Keep up the great posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,
      I'm glad you like this last post. It does make so much more sense to develop criteria at a point when students have a better handle on subject matter and ideas for presenting their learning. Their thoughts on success criteria become more relevant and thoughtful.

      Delete
  4. Hi Heidi, I was wondering if you were going to post any of the student presentations. I would love to see them. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erin,
    I do plan to post them, probably towards the end of next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, I read this post of yours shortly after you first wrote it, and I've been thinking about it for a while now. I'm not sure that I agree with constructing the Success Criteria later in the process. I find that many of my students use this Success Criteria to continually ensure that they're doing what needs to be done, and including everything that needs to be included. For some of my struggling students, I find that without the Success Criteria, they feel like they're done really early in the process. This provides them with an anchor.

    Did you find that some of your students struggled without the Success Criteria? How do you support them? Maybe I just need to find out more about the process.

    I do really like the assessment tool that you created with the help of your students. I've done similar things with my class this year, and I think that with the use of Success Criteria, students really do understand what a Level 2 looks like compared to a Level 4. Not everything requires a rubric, and I do love this. Now it's just about the timing of the Success Criteria.

    Thanks for getting me thinking!
    Aviva
    www.weinspirefutures.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your learning. You have highlighted the need for teachers to be observers and to "adapt not adopt." The timing of when to co-construct criteria around quality is very much a teaching decision... one with many right answers. Thank you for highlight that in your blog.

    I would like to hear your thinking in a future blog on the research that clearly shows that the more evaluation teachers do and the more self-evaluation students are asked to do the LESS learning that occurs. I am using evaluation deliberately... the numbers are a value/a weighting. When you moved from description to scores you changed from assessment to evaluation.

    Did you notice that the introduction of numbers (rubric scores in this case) resulted in some students disengaging... particularly the students who tend to struggle in your class?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Anne and Aviva for you comments, I will take some time for a considered response to both.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.