Class 71's Thoughts on Feedback
One element of the War of 1812/Napoleon Inquiry that I found particularly interesting was the conversation that developed during presentations on giving and receiving feedback. I've gathered discussions points from this on-going conversation on the chart above.
It was one student in particular who prompted us to pursue a much deeper consideration of feedback than I had anticipated. He began his feedback with "I didn't like ..." Everyone was taken aback initially, but the learning that ensued was so valuable that I'm very glad it happened.
All students used Linoit to create their presentations. There is no right or wrong way to construct a Linoit board. It's a very open-ended presentation tool. Some presentations had very random placements, others were sequential and methodical. Layout and design quickly became a focus, as the class debated the merits, strengths and weaknesses of various design choices. After several lengthy considerations of various presenters' design choices, it was Ben who finally nailed the salient point: people in the class think differently and the design will reflect their approach to thinking. It is important to value the differences.
This led into another discussion on whether it is better to be blunt and honest when giving feedback or to avoid being critical. The class agreed that honest was better. It was Lucas who pointed out that not being honest has long-term consequences. He used the example of someone who wants to be a writer. If no one ever tells this person that his or her writing needs improvement, it could have career consequences. Sophie added that one should still consider the recipient, and how she gives feedback very much depends on who she is speaking to. Gage was very adamant about what mattered most: the idea. What the class did come to agree on is that how we frame feedback is important. Trying to be constructive is better and words matter. Given that, presenters need to be prepared to discuss and defend content and design choices. They also recognized that we have choices in how to react and respond to feedback.
Finally we discussed our feelings around the source of the feedback. We value some people's opinions more than others'. It is important to consider the source, but it is also important to not automatically dismiss what is being said because of who is saying it.
What I was most pleased about was the growth I observed in students. One student gave what she felt was her best presentation ever. Normally she is nervous during presentations, but she realized that her classmates were going to question her design and content choices - even the minor ones - and that she would have to defend them. She rose to the occasion and handled their critique and questions very well. Other students learned to more carefully frame their feedback so that it wouldn't automatically be dismissed because of how it was being said, or so that it was more constructive.
We have by no means finished this discussion on feedback. There is still much to be learned and I look forward to discovering more alongside my students as we become more comfortable with the process.


Ms. Siwak,
ReplyDeletePhillip from Alabama. What an interesting lesson. We just completed a lesson on peer review which deals with feedback and uncomfortable moments. I do believe in honesty in feedback. However, I believe honesty should be done with a bit of compassion. People can be cruel with total honesty, which could work against the student who has difficulty presenting in front of others. Would you agree? Please let Ben know that he has wisdom beyond his years. If I had thought like him in school, I may have enjoyed it more. I agree Ben, people are different! I would have enjoyed having you as a teacher Ms. Siwak, your students are learning so much. Again, thanks for the wonderful blogs.
Phillip
Hi Phillip,
ReplyDeleteYou make a very good point. Compassion is important as is building an environment of openness and trust as learners move through this process is also key. I will pass on your words to Ben.
It is important to note that the chart is a synthesis of conversations that took place over several days. Their ideas are still in development. One element they still don't have a full handle on yet is purpose: what is the purpose of feedback. They are also learning to identify when they move up the ladder of inference as they react to presentations and to each other's feedback.
ReplyDelete