Last Thursday I showed this video to my grade 7 students.
They were intrigued and excited by the idea of being in charge of their own learning. I asked if they thought this approach to learning would be possible in a middle school. Most thought it would be amazing if it could happen, but recognized that the decision making power is not in their hands. As one student said, "They" would never let it happen.
I proposed that we attempt to develop this model and determine how it might function in a middle school environment by taking 1 week to pursue fully independent learning. The students were excited by the idea.
On Friday we considered what issues might arise and what we would need to think about if this approach was implemented. I have information to share on this discussion, but will post later. Next I gave each student a notebook and asked them to write a reflection on why (and if) they thought this was a good idea to try. Again, I will share these reflections later. Most thought it was a good idea. A few raised concerns and one was truly apprehensive. Finally, I gave each a tracking sheet to jot down what they accomplished each day. I explained that because we were attempting something new, it was really important to document our process. Students agreed that sitting through 23 presentations at the end of the week would be tedious, so instead, I assigned them to small groups of 3 - 6 and they will present to their group members.
They had the weekend to consider topic selection and by Monday most had found a topic; the range of interests is enormous. I have one student who wants to learn how to bake and another who wants to know if there is a mathematical formula that will allow one to score a basket every time. Another wants to learn coding. Another is looking at the history of Apple. Another is learning how to apply complex nail polish patterns. Another is learning how to twist balloons and then using her creations to make a movie. One student is curious about how people with Autism adapt to the workplace. Another wants to know why water heaters explode. Another is learning cake decorating. There are more topics, of course, but this gives a good sense of the range. The one restriction I placed on topic selection was that it be something they could learn during school time. It took some students time to settle into a topic; a few switched topics after the first day. One is completing several mini-topics.
On Saturday, I will be attending TVO's The Agenda Learning 2030 session in Peterborough on the future of education. Knowing that I have this opportunity to share my students' voices, I took one period today to discuss what they wanted me to say when the topic of self-directed learning arises.
Here are some of their comments:
It's good. The whole thing is good.
In regular school the amount of work can be overwhelming. When you're in charge you have more control. You can take your time, but you're learning more. There's more balance. You have time to "have a life".
(I pointed out what I observed - sustained focus from everyone in the class.) "It is easier to stay on task and focused for longer because you get to choose something you are interested in."
"Most kids don't like school. This is way more interesting." (This came from a student who excels. I asked her to clarify, because she is the typically successful academic student) "I work hard because I have to and want to but it is still boring. Even students who do well don't really enjoy it.
Kids drop out because they are bored and disengaged. This would keep them in school.
If you find the topic the teacher is teaching difficult, you still have to try to keep up. It's stressful. With the you can learn at your own pace and there's no specific due date, it's better.
You can pause when you need to if it takes more time to understand something.
The sharing of ideas is better. It's way more interesting. Everyone is doing something really different so you don't have to sit through presentations on the same topic.
It's calmer. Less stressful.
Every school should have this.
I would want to come to school on weekends if learning could be like this all the time. (This from a student who is not a fan of school)
There's still "stress", but because it's your own challenge, it's different.
Depending on what your school board offers, in high school the choices are limited. You could miss out on things you need to learn for the field you want to be in. This would let you learn what you needed.
(We got into a whole discussion on high school, marks, and mandatory courses)
You get more time to go in other directions if you come across something interesting.
(I also asked them to consider some of the negatives.)
I wouldn't want this all the time. Maybe for one week every month.
Sometimes it's hard. You can't ask the teacher because they don't know the answer. You have to figure it out yourself.
Some subjects like math and science shouldn't be self-directed. You need teacher support.
It's more efficient to have some things taught to you instead of having to figure out everything yourself.
People procrastinate, you have to have self-discipline because no one is telling you what to do.
I think personality is important. Not all kids would do well with this. There should be some kind of assessment to see who would be allowed in this kind of a program.
To which another student responded - you don't know how someone will do until you give them a chance. Kids who don't do well in regular school might do really well in this.
This is hard, but things in life are hard. You have to work for them.
Some kids need more help than others. If you were to have this, there are still all those kids who need a teacher to help them.
. . . . . . . . . . . . .. .
It has been very interesting observing the dynamics and the ebb and flow of focus. There are students who've remained on task the entire time; others who work for extended periods and then take small breaks. Some stop to see what others are working on. Students seek my assistance only when needed for feedback or guidance. There are conversations about learning, sharing of topics and students assisting other students. One student abandoned writing a novella when he realized another was learning to code. They are now working side by side, problem-solving, learning and bad-mouthing semicolons.
At the end of class today I reminded students that they should be prepared to share whatever they have learned and accomplished by Friday. One student responded, "It's going to be so hard to go back to the other way. I don't want this to end."

Heidi, this is a very interesting blog post! I've been trying something similar with my students right now, as we've adopted "Genius Hour" for our literacy centre routine. Students are reading, writing, responding to what they're learning, and then creating their own media text based on what they learned. They are all very interested in their topics, and excited to share their learning with others.
ReplyDeleteStudents have been using the Success Criteria to reflect on their work, and make changes to their work throughout the process. I think they've found this really beneficial. What assessment and evaluation did you use as part of this process? Do you think this is something that you could extend past one week or not? Why? I'd love to know more.
Thanks Heidi!
Aviva
www.weinspirefutures.com
Hi Aviva, thanks for your always thoughtful comments. :) Your "Genius Hour" sounds wonderful. Because this was an experiment in learning we did not develop any success criteria at the start of the process. How can you determine what success might look like when you haven't yet experienced something? The goal here was not to head towards a mark, but to gain insight about learning. Once presentations are finished, we will have a conversation on success with the goal of developing deeper understanding. Much of the success descriptors will centre on learning skills. I am envisioning a very different kind of rubric, one that includes the idea of persistence and learning from mis-teps and failures as well as celebration. If students are to take control of their learning, they need to develop clarity on what success means to them and be able to articulate that understanding. Because the learning topics were so varied and students didn't necessarily stay on one topic, success will mean different things to different kids. I do think this could extend beyond one week. We have been discussing how this model could be accommodated and balance out the more traditional model . All students recognize that there is an important place for directed learning, that this model is less appropriate for subjects such as math or science (we haven't tested this) and that some students need more direction than others. Formative assessment is ongoing. I am observing and engaging in conversations about their work, their approach to their work and what they are learning about learning when allowed freedom. One question I now have for these students is how have the skills learned in traditional school been useful or supported their ability to succeed with this approach.
DeleteThanks for your reply, Heidi! This really helps clarify things. I just read your follow-up post (and plan on commenting on it as well), and I can definitely see the role that Learning Skills would play in this activity. I wonder if there could be Success Criteria if you addressed general ones related to Language or Media. For many of my struggling students, I find that they need this guidance even when doing open-ended activities. What do you find? How did you best support these students during the learning process? (My background is working with students with special needs, so I can't help but always keep them in mind.)
DeleteThanks for always getting me thinking! It sounds like this was a great learning opportunity for students and for you!
Aviva
www.weinspirefutures.com
Heidi:
ReplyDeletethanks so much for your bravery, and your students' courage. I love the fact that you gave so much space to their ideas, and I'm looking really forward to hearing more on Sunday at Trent. I was very taken with some of their responses, and the obvious fact that they had really, deeply, thought about this. I'm also very intrigued by what they think about the last question you talk about in your reply to Aviva - how did those traditional skills help them? I teach French using the AIM approach (highly oral, kinesthetic, lots of scaffolding), and my most successful students are those who come to AIM late, with a strong grounding in "drill and kill" grammar-focused teaching. AIM finally lets them apply everything they've done on paper. Looking forward to more of the journey.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to know you'll be at Learning 2030 on Sunday. I look forward to seeing you. I don't know if it's courage or merely seeing how much more deeply students are engaged when given these kinds of opportunities. They are a very thoughtful group and now that trust is really well established between them and me (I hope), we can have the kinds of risky conversations that need to be had between teacher and learners so that we can build something better. I've seen AIM in action and am so impressed by the level of French students develop. I wonder what they will say about that last question.
This is great Heidi! Just the kind of thing to push thinking for everyone towards what education could actually be. I was going to Trent as well this weekend, but went too late to get a ticket, so I'll be watching online. :-( Have fun!
ReplyDeleteJust tweeted you a link from TED, re: SOLE learning - which I thought would fit incredibly well into what you just did with your class...and the prize is pretty nice (though I don't know how you'd choose one kid). I thought your class might like blogging about the experience anyway.
ReplyDeleteLisa (@nobleknits2)
Hi Colin,
DeleteIsn't it wonderful to live in a time where we get to see into each other's practices? I don't think I would ever have reached this level of comfort in letting go of control if not for this amazing global network learning from and supporting each other as we attempt to create better learning environments.
Too bad you won't be there on Sunday.
Lisa, thanks for that awesome link. I can't wait to show my students.
Delete