Sunday, December 2, 2012

My Decentralized Classroom

So much technology has come into my classroom this past year and we are on an enormous learning curve as we figure out how to use it effectively.  One thing I have struggled with is classroom layout and flow for collaborative learning.  This week I came across two excellent videos that demonstrate how layout works to enhance collaborative, low risk, high-engagement learning.

Steelcase Labs used design theory to reinvent learning spaces

Fielding Nair International, a school in the USA looked at how to reinvent a school affordably.

I then reworked the layout of my classroom so that it has flow and is decentralized.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I have been wrestling with similar ideas and problems in my 1-1 iPad class. The set up is very important. I think decentralized learning is about content too, not just context. IT concerns me that the folks in the LearnLab class are projecting the same content to three different places and calling this triangulation! Oh dear, more of the same is not helping our students either. Two steps forward, one step back I think. But, the video and your pics from your class are so very helpful for considering these issues. Thank you for your post. @cordym (Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was assuming that anyone's content could be projected and shared, not just that of the instructor. Hm. What I saw was the flow, how with the x I would no longer be cut off from any student and any student could move freely around the room. Given all the interaction that occurs when iPads are in use, this is so necessary. I have a 2 to 1 ratio, which forces sharing and collaboration. I'd love to see pics of your set up.

      Delete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.