We began the school year by learning about assumptions. This is not a term that students use with confidence nor adeptness, yet the assumptions they make can lead them astray in their thinking. I am encouraging them to recognize how making certain assumptions leads them to sometimes draw erroneous conclusions, but to also recognize that sometimes it is expedient and productive to make assumptions. This is high level thinking indeed and they need practice!
In our introductory activity, I read them a series of statements about a person and they were to discuss their thoughts about this person as each statement was revealed.
The Thief
(I included a picture from the internet of someone with a questionable appearance)
Paul is 19.
He is covered in tattoos.
He is a high school dropout.
He smokes and drinks.
He is unemployed.
He has just been arrested.
He was arrested for stealing.
He stole diapers and formula.
He has a girlfriend and a 1 year old child.
Paul has been working for the past 3 years for the same company.
He was laid off from his job when the company moved to another country.
The economy is bad and he has been unable to find other work.
Paul has never previously been in trouble with the police.
This, of course, led to a rich discussions about the assumptions we make about others that are so often based on insufficient information.
On a bulletin board we have begun building our "Elements of Thought" wheel. If you were to see my classroom at the beginning of the year, it is empty. Nothing goes up that hasn't been used directly with my students. It seems rather barren at the moment but as the year moves forward, the walls will reflect our learning.
This week we have been working on Digital Citizenship - I have many posts about this topic, so will not go into detail about the lessons. What I'm more interested in is encouraging learners to think about how they approach their learning and what they are thinking as they go.
In the past, I would have designed a very nice task with clear instructions for students to follow. With the introduction of inquiry and project-based learning, this of course, has shifted and my students have engaged in some very interesting inquiries. I realize, however, that an area of weakness for many are planning skills and more importantly awareness. How do we get students to become aware of their thinking as they approach learning? How do we get them to be very clear on their purpose? Below is an attempt to make them think more during the initial stages of a project. Instead of me creating or us co-creating the task, I have asked them to describe their understanding of the task.
This reflection was assigned after a text-based slideshow, discussion and some independent exploration of the topic.
The one question most students had trouble with centered on assumptions. Tomorrow we will practice articulating the assumptions they might make during this task that could cause problems. For this student, we will rephrase her statement to: "I might assume that all the information I read is correct and then include that in my presentation." This will be done in flexible groups while others continue working on their projects.






Once again Ms. Siwak, you've done a great job! You have a wonderful hands-on project that intrigues the students to get involved in the discussion. These students are learning and they may not even realize it. When I was a younger student I don't recall any of my teachers ever teaching me anything but academic subjects like history, math, english, or science. When I become an educator I know 110% that I want to be the kind of teacher that my students will remember for teaching them something outstanding. I want to teach them to become critical thinkers for life lessons not just comprehending reading material. You do a fantastic job as an educator! By the picture of one of your student's work I can tell that she understands what you've taught her.
ReplyDelete