Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Writing for Pleasure and Good-bye

The year is drawing to a close and I realize that I will be saying good-bye to a very special group of students, my grade 7's. These students and I have a history.  I taught several of them in kindergarten, I had all of them in grade 6 for French and many of them in grade 6 for Language and Social Studies. And of course, I have had the privilege of teaching them this year. We go back a long way and have developed a level of ease with each other that is relaxed and comfortable.

This year we have spent so much time becoming good thinkers, asking challenging questions, delving into difficult topics and becoming learner-explorers. It has been a pleasure observing them grow as critical thinkers. They are interesting, as people, and I am very curious to see what directions they will take in life.

Our final endeavor for this year involves writing, but I really did not wish to approach this task as a "schooled" activity.  Instead I wanted them to enjoy the experience of being writers, as I do every time I generate an idea that develops into a blog post.  We discussed graphic organizers and debated just how useful students find them for writing. Most decided that they were not necessary at this stage of their writing careers and were more likely to kill their interest in writing. We talked about what makes a good story, about hooks, about interesting plots and compelling phrasing ... and then ... I let them loose to write with one caveat: challenge yourself as writers - try something new.

It has been an absolute delight observing these students in action. They are writing for the pleasure of writing. They are focused on craft.  When I'm needed they seek me out to discuss plot difficulties, phrasing or the merits of various ideas. I touch base with students, check in, read over their work, make suggestions. I ask what they are trying to accomplish and how it's working and what they feel they are doing really well.

They are scattered. Some in the computer lab, some sit cross-legged on my counters, iPads in hand. Some are at desks with pencil or pen and paper. Some carefully gather their ideas first and then plot out their tales, others begin by developing clever hooks to draw readers in. All of them readily share what they are attempting that is new and what they are most proud of about their work.

Final copies are coming in and I have to say I am impressed by what they have accomplished. They have grown as writers. What more can a teacher ask? 

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. I can imagine the scene--truly a authentic writing studio. I'd like to be one of those students. I wish you peace as you say good bye to these beloved students and writers.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.