Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Transformation Begins

What does it mean to be a teacher in the 21 century?  Teachers in my own board of education have been struggling with this idea for several years.  We have had a vast array of new expectations imposed upon us at an incredibly rapid pace. I have seen teachers in tears, teachers who are angry and teachers who are confused. I have been overwhelmed as I have struggled to interpret what it means to be a teacher in the 21 century. Only now am I beginning to develop a clear vision of what needs to happen.  It was only when I finally realized that I am not a teacher at all, but a learner on a journey with my students that change could begin. This is requiring me to drop all my preconceived notions (based on 20 years of teaching experience) of what a classroom should look like and how teaching and learning happen.  I am looking at teaching with new eyes and I have to say, am very, very excited by what I am seeing! I am inviting you to follow this journey as "we" renivent my classroom. 

5 comments:

  1. Mrs Siwak i cant seem to find out how to access our commercial (video) part of the website so i can see them once we have produced them. So if you could get back to me on that as soon as possible. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the comment here! And am going to add another... this is not that long ago that you wrote this... so cool...

    (on a personal note I was 6 months pregnant at this point so mainly concerned about hanging in to the end of March; regardless, am excited about reading forward as a way to catch up on what is going on in the wonderful world of public education in Ontario and the world)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. It was not that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just started thinking about inquiry and connecting with like minded teachers on Twitter. Started my blog about a week ago. I feel like my July 2013 is your Dec 2010, when you started this blog. Working my way through all of your posts :) Really glad I found this resource. Inspired! (@joetabhistory on Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe,
      Thank you for your comments. Oh my goodness, I have come such a long way since 2010. Thanks for making me think back to that pivotal time! I am so glad you find my posts engaging and that someone is willing to start at the beginning!Enjoy your journey.

      Delete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.